Celebrity Sonnet Reading: Alan Rickman reads Sonnet 130

On the weekends, I'm not going to add another episode, but in my effort to give a sonnet everyday, I'll post a celebrity sonnet that I find on Youtube.

For the first one, here's Alan Rickman reading Sonnet 130.  (I picked a further one out, so I wouldn't have to compare myself to him until I've read at least 129 sonnets live.  (and even then, well, let's just say:  Alan Rickman!)

This was posted by Muriel Rickman (who I think is his wife)  Enjoy!



SONNET 130 by William Shakespeare
My mistress' eyes are nothing like the sun; Coral is far more red than her lips' red; If snow be white, why then her breasts are dun; If hairs be wires, black wires grow on her head.
I have seen roses damask'd, red and white, But no such roses see I in her cheeks; And in some perfumes is there more delight Than in the breath that from my mistress reeks.
I love to hear her speak, yet well I know That music hath a far more pleasing sound; I grant I never saw a goddess go; My mistress, when she walks, treads on the ground:
And yet, by heaven, I think my love as rare As any she belied with false compare.



No comments:

Post a Comment